RMS Talk at University of Toronto Mississauga

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 6 14:03:36 UTC 2007

Yeah, it was interesting. RMS spoke essentially without notes for I would
guess over an hour. He's clearly a prickly character - he bridled at a
couple of questions. For example, one hapless soul mentioned 'Linux' so of
course Stallman brought up the GNU+Linux issue. On that I think he has a
valid point, Linux would not have succeeded without the GNU utilities
(such as GCC). On the other hand, strategically, perhaps less effort
should have gone into Emacs and more effort into Hurd (or whatever
replaced it).

His ideas are really original and worth consideration, and his first
concern is with the community. For example, he suggested two mechanisms
for getting payment to musicians that would bypass the large record
companies and result in more revenue for most musicians. He suggested that
the umbrella term 'Intellectual Property' was inappropriate and explained
why in an argument that made sense.

One major mistake, that I've heard many American speakers make: 'This is
the law in the United States, and I assume it's similar up here'. Not
necessarily. However, he did ask questions about C-60.

It was a large and respectful audience.

I got the impression that he's on a speaker's circuit, so maybe you could
encourage the FSF to ship him to wherever you are.

Peter

> Don't I pick the wrong months to be out of the country :P
>

> Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
>> http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/361.0.html?&tx_mininews_pi1[showUid]=1895&tx_mininews_pi1[backPid]=51&cHash=110471a7f6
>>

>> In Summary:
>>
>>     World-renowned activist and free software developer Richard
>> Stallman, founder of the free software movement, will speak on Copyright
>> vs. Community in the Age of Computer Networks on Thursday, July 5, at 5
>> p.m., Matthews Auditorium (Room 137), Kaneff Centre, University of
>> Toronto Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Rd. N.
>>
>> There is the Mississauga Transit Dundas West 1C route which connects
>> Islington Subway Station to the University.
>>
>> A schedule for this route is available here:
>>
>> http://www4.mississauga.ca/ClicknRide/TimetableDetailsForm.aspx?moniker=Vmlld1RpbWV0YWJsZTpUaW1ldGFibGVEZXRhaWxzOjE4YjIwNjhiLTFlMTYtNGRmMi1iYzI1LTQ2NmE0ODRjODYxYjo0MTQ2NGUxMS1kMDM1LTQ1OWItYTJkMC01OTJjZjNhODIzMjQ=
>>

>> Further links available here: http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/1647.0.html.
>>
>> Ivan.
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325