Looking for BIG capacitors.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 6 03:55:15 UTC 2007

--- Kareem Shehata <kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > > .... or an array of smaller capacitors in
> parallel,
> > > until you find the
> > > right size.  This way you can test the design
> out
> > > and tweak it before
> > > committing to an expensive part.  It's also the
> kind
> > > of thing you can do
> > > right now.
> >
> > Attempting to find capacitors anywhere close to
> 0.33 F
> > is an issue, It isn't like I could painlessly find
> say
> > two 0.16 F capacitors and run them in parallel :-(
> .
> >
> > Digi-Key looks like the route I will have to
> follow
> > :-( .
> >
> > > Batteries would definitely be simpler, though I
> > > understand not wanting
> > > to keep replacing them.
> >
> > Exactly, avoid batteries if at all possible is my
> view
> > in all of this :-) .
>

> Actually, I think there's a way to avoid batteries
> and capacitors.
> There's already a whole whack of rails already built
> into your PC, so
> use them!  Pull a line of off the power supply on
> either a spare drive
> connector and use the 5V rail from there.  It won't
> be pretty, but it'll
> work a ton better than a huge cap.

Setting up the circuit inside the case would solve the
battery/capacitor problem, but it leaves another set
of problems, cables. Where I would like to put the
MythTV box isn't ideal as far as optics are concerned
(read, pointing an IR remote at the MythTV box and
getting the MythTV to talk to the likes of VCR. So, I
would need to worry about getting RS-232 serial into
the circuit, and then a feed out...

Going through the Digikey.ca website turns up 0.33 F
capacitors for $2.34 (Cdn.) each (with quantity
discounts starting at 10 units...). I will go the
Digikey route, I just hoped I could find those monster
capacitors locally, sigh,,,

Colin McGregor