how to point a domain to a host?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 19:59:54 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:
> peter smerdon left a post-it on the fridge:
>
>> I have registered a .ca domain with www.internic.ca
>> At this point in time I am unsure If I will purchase some hosting
>> space or set up a Debian/Apache server at home.
>>
>> What I wanted to know was what is the next step? If I choose to host
>> the site at home, how do I get the dns servers all over the web to
>> point my domain name to my specific host?
>>

> check this out:
>
> http://www.zoneedit.com/
>
> It's free, works great, and has never let me down. Does more than just DNS
> resolution too. Not sure exactly how they do it for free...

A fair number people and companies I've worked with use them as a (free
or paid) backup/failover dns provider in the event of a catastrophic
nameserver meltdown of primary and secondary etc. servers. Their
business is essentially selling DNS insurance after your first 5 free
domains, likely you'll never need, it, but just in case, for a small
monthly premium...

More here: http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/faq.html#faq7

Jamon