Looking for BIG capacitors.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 18:19:07 UTC 2007

I am looking to clear an old electronic project that I
started a while back and then never got finished. The
problem was the design I was following calls for a
0.33 F  capacitor (yes, 0.33 F or a 330,000 uF cap.,
which is HUGE). Fortunately the highest voltage this
capacitor should have to take is 5 volts, so it
doesn't have to be a very high voltage capacitor, just
high capacitance. I have not been able to source such
big capacitor locally, I have tried the usual places
(Active Surplus, Active Components, Electrosonic,
Sayel, Above All) with no luck.

Anyone know of a place locally that sells HIGH value
capacitors? Or am a looking at the mail order route?

Semi-related question, as the capacitor is to be used
in a Linux infrared remote control box, I am also
looking for a small project box, final size of which
will depend of the physical size of the above
capacitor, but ideally about 2" x 2" x 2" and one side
transparent as far as IR is concerned. Sayel seems to
be the best bet there, but none of what I have seen
there is quite ideal. Again, any ideas?

Thanks.

Colin McGregor