Next Meeting: History, Oddities, and the search for the Perfect Window Manager

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 14:59:56 UTC 2007

There's been some discussion recently about advance notice for GTALUG
meetings, so here goes ...

Tuesday July 10, 7:30 PM, room 24x (where "x" is either "4" or "8" -
it's changed recently) of the Galbraith building on the University of
Toronto campus.  Fearless leaders, please correct any erroneous
details.

The presentation is entitled "History, Oddities, and the search for
the Perfect Window Manager" because I've spent good chunks of the last
five years trying out every WM I can get my hands on.  I'll talk about
the history of Window Managers on Linux, what is a Window Manager,
where we started, who borrowed whose code and ideas, standards (so
often ignored), keyboard-friendly WMs, what languages are used, which
WMs are smallest, helper applications, the eye-candy, and how to
choose the best WM for you.  I'll be demonstrating several of the
window managers discussed.

Take a look at http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/ for a partial preview.

--
Giles