Call for job and 'extended hours'

Scott C. Ripley scott-VK/PCEBaDz+N9aS15agKxg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 14:31:43 UTC 2007

i think it boils down to:

   (1) most (small-large) employers want to extract as much work from
       a salaried (fixed cost) employee as possible

is it reasonable that such an employee should be protected? (via
government regulation, employment contract, etc.)

yes (debatable on perspective) - but (1) still applies. :-)

of course if the employer abuses (1), there will be longer term costs:
   - employee turn-over, burn-out, etc.

from the salaried employee's perspective:

   - do you want to work (long-term) for an "unreasonable" employer?

       if not:
         - become as indispensable to your current employer as
           possible (leverage)
         - attempt to negotiate change (likely unsuccessful)
         - find an employer with a different attitude (there are all
           varieties of employers out there)
         - change/specialize within/outside your field
         - acquire skills that are more in demand (leverage)
         - work as an hourly contractor
         - become an employer (business) and hire some underpaid help! :-)
         - ...

some additional thoughts:

   - often employers want salaried employees to "think like owners", yet
     don't offer compensation arrangements "like owners":
       - business owner risk capital for profit
       - employees sacrifices/risk their time (often in un-fixed amounts)
         for a fixed salary + "promise" of bonus

   - sometimes employers have business models that would unsustainable if
     they had to compensate their loyal employees more fairly

   - people carry around incorrect assumptions regarding
     roles/responsibilities of:
       - business owners / shareholders
       - management employees
       - non-management employees

   - arguably we are indoctrinated to be "good employees" and believe:
       - you should consider yourself "lucky" to have a job
       - if you work hard your efforts will (always)
         eventually be recognized / compensated
       - entrepreneurs / business owners are a special breed &
         most people don't have what it takes
       - don't question management & business owners (they are
         smarter than you!)
       - salaried work + benefits is preferable to hourly work
       - being temporarily unemployed is a bad thing
       - buy lots of stuff and you will be happy

   - certain irony exists in the fact that truly good employees are hard to
find

anyways, this is a bit off-topic for this list...

Scott

--

Scott C. Ripley
phone: (416)738-6357