Call for job and 'extended hours'

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 13:55:57 UTC 2007

Neil Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 07:32:12AM -0400, Paul King wrote:
>> Fine, and I am not concerned about the hours either, in itself. I was
>> more concerned about Scott mentioning that a certain employer
>> expected a successful candidate to work 50 hours per week *without
>> overtime pay*. I think things like lack of overtime pay are in
>> violation of labour standards, and ought to concern people.
>
> I do not think there is such a law.  If there is please cite it here.
> I'm sure we'd all like it as reference during our next review :)

It's called the "Employment Standards Act, 2000
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/00e41_e.htm

The two points in questin can be found here
>From http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/00e41_e.htm#BK24

17. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), no employer shall require or
permit an employee to work more than,

         (a)    eight hours in a day or, if the employer establishes a
regular work day of more than eight hours for the employee, the number
of hours in his or her regular work day; and

         (b)    48 hours in a work week.  2004, c. 21, s. 4.

22. (1)An employer shall pay an employee overtime pay of at least one
and one-half times his or her regular rate for each hour of work in
excess of 44 hours in each week or, if another threshold is prescribed,
that prescribed threshold.  2000, c. 41, s. 22 (1).