Call for job and 'extended hours'

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 3 21:17:32 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Paul King <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I just had a call with an HR person from a company downtown who's name
> > starts with water.  The incumbent for said position is expected to work
> > the 'extended hours' 50 per week without overtime.  They would not even
> > tell me the compensation range.  When I mentioned that the position
> > might require two people instead the person on the phone seemed to think
> > that the position was reasonable as is.  I know that I applied for this
> > position in the beginning of April.  I can't help but think it is taking
> > them so long due to the excessive hours turning people off.
> >

> Sounds like some labour standards are being tampered with there.
>
> > Has anyone else had dealings with this company?  What is with this habit
> > many companies have to not tell a salary range until the interview?
> > Wouldn't it save both the company and the candidate time if they knew
> > this before hand?
> >

> I have read in many places regarding interview skills that it is considered bad
> manners for the prospect to negotiate a salary range before the interview is
> completed. It is usually done as the last thing before the interview ends. Some
> employers will get the impression, according to those I've read, that you are
> more interested in money than the job, and will use that as a reason to screen
> you out and hire someone else.

My $0.02 disclaimer:  IMHO.

Having taken a number of "work experience programs" during my younger
years (not that I'm all that old or anything) I've heard much the same
thing many times.

Since then though, I'm very much convinced this is a fallacy.  On the
surface it sounds good, particularly on the prospective employer's
behalf.  But consider;  If a potential employee is not aware of what
(s)he is worth, why should the company hire them?  In this particular
case, obviously the potential-employee does _not_ know what they are
worth and will therefore only provide a "minimal benefit" to the
company as a whole.

An employee who knows what they are worth is capable of adding-to an
existing organization.  Adding-to is (with support of a company's
executives) equivalent-to growth for the company.

--
Scott Elcomb  [ http://www.psema4.com/ ]

"Our Founders' faith in the viability of representative democracy
rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry,
their ingenious design for checks and balances, and their belief that
the rule of reason is the natural sovereign of a free people." - Al
Gore (The Assault on Reason, 2008)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."  - Mark Twain