Dead UPS

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 3 20:34:49 UTC 2007

Stephen wrote:
> So I come home and my UPS (that protects my Linux system) is dead.
>
> Nothing happens when I press the power button of reset. I assume it is
> dead and I need to get a replacement.
>
> Anything I should try first?
>
> What is the best way to dispose of these things?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

UPS's have a fuse in them, generally on the cable that goes to the
batteries. It may simply be that this fuse blew. Also, may UPS's have
circuit breakers that may have been tripped. Look at you UPS's docs.

Please be careful! There is easily enough powerer in a UPS to seriously
hurt or kill a person. A coworker of mine dropped his pair of
edge-cutters onto the terminals of a UPS and it vaporized a portion of
the blades. DO NOT OPEN THE UNIT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
It's like crossing the road; safe when you know to look both ways, but
very dangerous otherwise.

Madi