Call for job and 'extended hours'

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 3 21:07:52 UTC 2007

> I just had a call with an HR person from a company downtown who's name
> starts with water.  The incumbent for said position is expected to work
> the 'extended hours' 50 per week without overtime.  They would not even
> tell me the compensation range.  When I mentioned that the position
> might require two people instead the person on the phone seemed to think
> that the position was reasonable as is.  I know that I applied for this
> position in the beginning of April.  I can't help but think it is taking
> them so long due to the excessive hours turning people off.

Sounds like some labour standards are being tampered with there.

> Has anyone else had dealings with this company?  What is with this habit
> many companies have to not tell a salary range until the interview?
> Wouldn't it save both the company and the candidate time if they knew
> this before hand?

I have read in many places regarding interview skills that it is considered bad
manners for the prospect to negotiate a salary range before the interview is
completed. It is usually done as the last thing before the interview ends. Some
employers will get the impression, according to those I've read, that you are
more interested in money than the job, and will use that as a reason to screen
you out and hire someone else.

Paul King