Various bits.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 3 19:41:05 UTC 2007

I've been hearing about possible trouble with the
mailing list, and as far as I can tell the first time
I sent a version of this message it didn't go through.
So my apologies if this is a repeat...

Rikki Kite, who helped staff the Linux Pro Magazine
booth at the IT360 show has a write-up about her
experiences in the July 2007 issue of Linux Pro
Magazine (page 92). Yes, GTALug gets a VERY brief
mention, and I have put a note about that on the wiki.

I have been promised a goodie (piece of computer
hardware) for the next TLUG meeting, and I am planning
to bring a few goodies to give away at the next
meeting. Question is would there be interest in a
general hardware/other swap? My current plan is to
bring the following to give away:

- A number of recent copies of Linux Journal
- PCI SCSI controller card
- Several copies of SuSE Linux Enterprise 10
- Some misc. cables

The above may grow as I sort through my parts boxes...

I trust everyone here knows that the Free Software
Foundation has officially released the GNU Public
Licence version 3. The GPL version 2 is the licence
that most of the software a typical GNU/Linux system
is released under. Provisions in the GPL 3 will make
things ... interesting ... for a few companies, such
as Microsoft, Novell, TiVo and Xandros (all who have
in one way or another attempted to exploit loopholes
in GPL 2, that are now closed in GPL 3).

Last Monday I was talking to our fearless leader Drew
Sullivan, he will be testing updates to the Wiki, and
hopefully by the end of July the spam, defacement,
etc. that we have be pained with should be a bad
memory...

Google Desktop Beta is out for Linux, so if you want
to index the files of your Linux box, then be able to
find them through a Google style search system check
it out.

I am working on a magazine article on recent Linux
software bugs/flaws. If you have any that I must see.
please let me know...

For the Americans on this list have a happy 4th of
July.

Colin McGregor