better multi-display support in X

Jing Su gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 31 21:54:06 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a laptop that I sometimes want to connect an external monitor
to and have extra screen real-estate.  So far, the only solution that
really works for me is to restart X with Xinerama when I have the
external monitor connected and restart X again when I disconnect to be
on-the-go.

This has really frustrated me because it's just not very friendly or
smooth.  I've tried running in dual-screen mode (having two different
X screens) but it's annoying to not be able to juggle and move windows
around.  It's still the case then when I connect or reconnect I have
to restart the apps that I want to move.

Googling hasn't turned up many useful results for me on this topic.
Has anyone else had better luck in terms of little utility programs or
configs which make this a more bearable experience?

-Jing

P.S. my apologies if this has been discussed before...