running windows via kvm module -- any experiences?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 31 14:49:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 18:25 -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 18:06, Matt Price wrote:
>
> > My girlfriend is buying a new computer a month or two from now and I'm
> > hoping to convince her to let me install ubuntu feisty on it, and set up
> > a windows VM using the new KVM module and rdesktop.  The idea of the VM
> > is to let her use software she feels she 'really needs' -- right now,
> > this is MS Office, endnote and Dreamweaver (I'd like to make all 3
> > disappear, but that's another, longer-term project).
>
> The last time I tried KVM (probably release 5) Windows was very sluggish under
> it.  One very noticeable problem was that the clock ran way too fast (minutes
> going by in seconds).
>
> If your machine is capable of running KVM then it should also be capable of
> running Xen.  My experience with running Windows under Xen has been very good
> (no noticeable slowdown in either dom0 or the Windows VM), I am using ubuntu
> and the default Xen packages provided in edgy.

I'd use xen except as I understand it xen doesn't yet support suspending
dom0, so it's much more cumbersome to use on a laptop -- especially a
tiny laptop like I'm planning to ifnd for michelle, whcih will be
transported back and forth constantly.

> I prefer the idea of KVM (especially on a laptop) and it's developing rapidly
> so I would expect it to be a good solution before too long - I doubt it's
> there yet.

well, I can hold Michelle off a couple of months but I reckon that's it.

--
Matt Price
History Dept
matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org