running windows via kvm module -- any experiences?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 23:25:37 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 18:06, Matt Price wrote:

> My girlfriend is buying a new computer a month or two from now and I'm
> hoping to convince her to let me install ubuntu feisty on it, and set up
> a windows VM using the new KVM module and rdesktop.  The idea of the VM
> is to let her use software she feels she 'really needs' -- right now,
> this is MS Office, endnote and Dreamweaver (I'd like to make all 3
> disappear, but that's another, longer-term project).

The last time I tried KVM (probably release 5) Windows was very sluggish under
it.  One very noticeable problem was that the clock ran way too fast (minutes
going by in seconds).

If your machine is capable of running KVM then it should also be capable of
running Xen.  My experience with running Windows under Xen has been very good
(no noticeable slowdown in either dom0 or the Windows VM), I am using ubuntu
and the default Xen packages provided in edgy.

I prefer the idea of KVM (especially on a laptop) and it's developing rapidly
so I would expect it to be a good solution before too long - I doubt it's
there yet.