Linux+Seamonkey+Sympatico Problem

bob ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 23:27:22 UTC 2007

I believe the "hm" in the Sympatico server names refers to "Hotmail" as in
outsourced to ...

Enough said.

My experience with this problem is that it is not a Linux issue,  it is at
least an open source standards issue.

A few months back  I tried unsuccessfully to connect several  Windows +
Thunderbird configurations to Sympatico without any success  (2 were in the
GTA and one in Montreal).     The only advice I could gleen from asking
around at that time was that the Norton anti virus package and Thunderbird
plus Sympatico were an unhappy combination because at least one person I know
got his Windows-Thunderbird-Sympatico configuration to work by swapping the
Norton anti virus for the AVG package.

Didn't make sense to me,  but then things on Windows rarely do.

Both GTA Window's users switched providers and were able to use their
Thunderbird email happily.    The Montreal user went back to Outlook.

I wish I could convince someone with the expertise to put a TCP/IP packet
trace on the Sympatico/Hotmail-email client interaction.    In particular it
would be interesting to compare the packets for Outlook vs. Thunderbird for
the same account on the same Sympatico account.    While I suspect the SSL
will "mess up" the scientific comparison,    I think there would be a good
story in the embrace and extinguish tweek that our friends and Hotmail have
apparently done to SSL and TLS "standards" to allow only Outlook to work.

bob