Linux+Seamonkey+Sympatico Problem

Manimoto Mushi manimotomushi-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 22:51:24 UTC 2007

>I can't say I know what is happening, but try, as a test, setting the SMTP
>server to 'smtp1.sympatico.ca'. I've used that in many places (residential
>and business) in Ontario and New Brunswick without a problem.
>
>HTH!
>
>Madi

Thanks Madi. We did try that as my post mentioned.
smtp1 requires non-SSL connections. We tried that. How are you getting it to
work?

At first we tried the "right" params...
Outgoing server name: smtp1.sympatico.ca
Use username and password authentication: yes
Use SSL: no

Then we tried all other combinations and nothing doing. I actually live in
Toronto and my friend is in Quebec so after many nights of helping her over
the phone I have all of the Seamonkey and Outlook setup dialog boxes
imprinted in my brain :-)

For me it has to be one of the following reasons:
a) Outlook communicates in some way that is not standard SMTP protocol and
that sympatico takes advantage of that.
b) There is a difference between Outlook's implementation of SSL and others
that sympatico relies on.
c) The GCCP (i.e. the global consortium of conspiracy practitioners) is at
it again.

An idea I had was to see if I could find a mail client that lets one change
the agent header.
then try to masquerade as Outlook and see what happens...

thanks & cheers.