Linux+Seamonkey+Sympatico Problem

Manimoto Mushi manimotomushi-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 22:13:26 UTC 2007

Hi all:

I just joined this list and need help with a sympatico.ca related problem.
Before posting this though I did review the mail-list archive and noticed
that what I thought was a new problem is actually a few years old.

Problem is as follows:
A friend of mine in Quebec who uses Slackware 11.0 has for many years been a
sympatico user with no problems receiving or sending email. A few weeks ago
she found that she could not connect to her mail servers. After many calls
to tech support we realized that their new email server POP:
pophm.sympatico.ca and SMPT: smpthm.sympatico.ca may be blocking access by
any email client other than Outlook. We first tried the new conf parameters
in Seamonkey on Linux. We could only receive email NOT send. Then we tried
the same info as we put in Outlook (which does work) in the Windows XP
version of Seamonkey with *exactly* the same results as on the Linux side -
can only receive not send mail.

Is anyone out there successfully using the "hm" servers with Mozilla,
Seamonkey, or even Thunderbird in Linux???

If so *please* share your secrets! How did you do it!. We have even tried to
connect to smpt1 but this just fails to connect.

Someone had suggested putting some kind of sniffer to see what transpires
between Outlook and the servers. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know what
the problem really is even though it may not be solvable? I mean it really
looks like at the server side they are not allowing anything but Outlook to
connect which is discrimination...no? Anyone out there a lawyer :-)

Thanks for any help you can pass one.