billions of files, ext3, reiser, and ls -aly

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 15:14:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 03:20:19AM -0500, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>   If the command is 'ls -al' you will not get a 'too many arguments'
>   error, because there are not too many arguments; there are none
>   besides the options. If you use 'ls -al *' you may, and it depends
>   on the system (glibc may be part of it) and how many arguments (and
>   possibly the maximum length of the arguments).

The shell will have a command line limit usually.  I think older
versions of bash it was 32768 characters, but I think it is more like
128000 now.  Not sure.  I almost never exceed it, and when I do I know
how to use find and xargs.  Almost certainly the limit depends on the
libc, the version of the shell, and various other factors.

--
Len Sorensen