Stress Testing

david thornton david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 00:31:09 UTC 2007

Byron Sonne wrote:

>>>I've been given a server at work to "stress test" the hardware.  The
>>>server will be used as a java server, running tomcat.  Any suggestions
>>>for software to use?  I'm currently running memtest86.
>>>

>If you're just talking about basic 'burn in' and smoke testing the box,
>I've found that perpetually looping an automated Linux install works
>pretty good. Alot of i/o, and I like to think that the hardware
>detection routines flex the peripherals a good bit. That might be
>wishful thinking though.
>--
>The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

I dunno if that's such a good test these days... automated install only
take me 55 seconds... yes that's right I actually had to brag about my
new personal best for a default server build....

and it was RHEL 4!!!!!

Proliant G5 with a single SAS system mirror over 100 meg wee!-thernet...
I was flaberghasted when I saw it.

now back to you regularly scheduled tech talk.

David Thornton