Nice looking 'disk array'

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 29 23:07:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:02:16PM -0500, Byron Sonne wrote:
> Ah, but that wasn't what was originally said ;)
>
> You said "Linux software raid also has a lot more testing and a larger
> user base, than any hardware raid platform will ever have."
>
> You didn't specify that the 'any hardware raid platform' was linux. With
> that admission I would of course have to concur that there's more Linux
> software raid users than Linux hardware raid users.

Well I don't really care one bit what windows users use.

> Yeah, I overstated that ;) Still, well done hardware raid *is* a
> superior technical design. Not necessarily cost effective for the
> average user, I agree.

It is not necesarily more reliable, better performance, or anything else
better.  Software raid under linux is very good and keeps getting
better.  In my previous job as a sysadmin, I only starting having raid
problems when we went from software to ServeRaid 4M's.  That's when we
started getting trouble with disks failing, performance got crappy, and
maintaining the raid became a lot harder, never mind the cost of the
stupid cards.  I had expected the raid cards to make life simpler.  All
they simplified was the boot loader setup.

--
Len Sorensen