Nice looking 'disk array'

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 29 23:09:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:10:08PM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> So what happens in software raid when someone pulls the plug on the
> machine ???

Anything still in system ram is lost.

> and if you want fast cheap hardware RAID controllers check out Areca.
> 1GB optional battery backed up write cache means the answer to the
> above question is nothing bad.

Anything still in system ram is lost.

Difference is that you get the ability to do some write caching in
hardware, which you don't get above.  Until the OS decides it is time to
write though, both solutions are equal.  The battery backed hardware
raid can finish the I/O sooner for the OS though, and not loose it.  So
small benefit there.  Surprisingly many hardware raid cards don't have
battery backed caches though.

Besides I have a UPS.

--
Len Sorensen