Nice looking 'disk array'

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 29 19:21:57 UTC 2007

> My experience has been that software raid performed a lot better (maybe
> the hardware raid cards weren't very good)

Probably the case; I'm not talking about typical College St. gear.
Consumer stuff is often a poor representation of the techonologies that
underlie the product.

> Reliability is probably also identical.  Easier to fix software raid
> than to get bugs in raid controller firmware fixed too.  Linux software
> raid also has a lot more testing and a larger user base, than any
> hardware raid platform will ever have.

Negatory on all counts, good buddy! I'll bet $20 that Compaq/HP hardware
raid cards are in more boxes... think of all the Proliant and Prosignia
servers out there. Now think of the IBM and Dell product equivalents.
I'm definately certain that with all of those combined there's more of
them, and they've had more testing for longer, than any linux software raid.

Software raid is a toy :)

Cheers,