Rogers high-speed internet

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 24 05:44:05 UTC 2007

James Knott wrote:
> Stephen Allen wrote:

>> Well just use it for a modem then ...
>>

> It wouldn't work that way.  There was no way to bypass the
> firewall/router function.

OK I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :)

>> My experiences have been a little different.
>>
>> Two years ago I lived in Scarborough and used Cable Internet. It was
>> atrocious, and even though I was on high speed, (as opposed to Ultra), I
>> achieved a maximum 70 kbps usually averaging 40 kbps. This was in 3
>> different locations in Scarborough.
>>
> IIRC, there used to be a different provider (Shaw?) in parts of
> Scarborough, that had poor service compared to Rogers.

At one time there was both, and  both were equally terrible in my
experience.

I believe up in the 'burbs, Cable Internet is more common, whereas DSL
is common downtown.

I guess with the family concentration in the burbs, the children are
downloading via P2P 24/7, and saturating the local loops.

>> Since I"ve moved to downtown Toronto, DSL from Sympatico, has been
>> reliable -- More so than Cable ever was for me. I'm getting faster speed
>> as well,(a steady average of 350 kbps, (sometimes higher) on most of my
>> surfing/downloads.
>>
>> For $35/month (contract) I get better service, faster throughput, and a
>> great little wireless/conventional router/switch/modem, that works
>> better than my Linksys, ever did.
>>

> I've seen close to the rated 6 Mb/s on some downloads.  Rogers has been
> very reliable for me, with only a few brief problems over the 7 years
> I've been using it.

Well, I'm sorry to say that hasn't been my experience with Cable
Internet in Scarborough. A friend of mine, (also downtown) has Rogers,
and he's not pleased with it, since he's seen my throughput and price/month.

Incidentally what area of town are you in? That might make a tremendous
difference in terms of performance.