Rogers high-speed internet

Eric.Malenfant-xNZwKgViW5gAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org Eric.Malenfant-xNZwKgViW5gAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 22:46:34 UTC 2007

I've been with Teksavvy since the istop disaster a few years ago,
because of the same reasons I went with Istop.

They do understand that there are other OS's out there, and if you ask,
they will do a reverse-DNS mapping for you.
I have been 1 happy camper since I moved to them, with NO outage
whatsoever since I have been with them.

4$/mo for a static IP + reverse DNS so I can run my own mail server - is
totally worth it.

Plug it into a linux box, fire up rp-pppoe, and iptables firewall... And
your laughing.

- Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org [mailto:owner-tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of ext
William O'Higgins Witteman
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:45 PM
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Rogers high-speed internet

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 12:26:17PM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
>> > But you do have to share the ISP and the rest of the internet with
them.
>> > Big freaking deal.  That claim is one of the lamest marketing scams

>> > the DSL people have come up with.  DSL is very nice, and has the
>> > advantage of not having to deal with rogers, but the sharing with
>> > your neighbours thing is just a load of crap.  Some cable areas may

>> > be badly designed

The key is that there is no requirement for Rogers to allow resellers,
so you have to deal with Rogers.  This is a dealbreaker.  I always get
500kb/s, I have a static IP, my tech support (called four times in two
years) knows Linux, and I can run whatever servers I want, and it costs
$34 per month, tax in, total.  I'm with Teksavvy.

>Looking at Teksavvy right now, just trying to figure out if the Alcatel

>Speed Touch modem I have is the right one, really cannot afford a new
>one right now (this has always been the breaking point for me, is
>having to buy/rent a new modem).

Call them - they'll know and they'll actually tell you.  I think it will
be fine.

With an ISP you want two things in terms of service (and in Terms of
Service, when it comes to that):

1. tech support with a clue and reasonable policies 2. clout when it
comes to dealing with the underlying carrier - a reseller's business is
much more valuable to BellNexxia than your individual business is to any
corporate entity.
--

yours,

William