Rogers high-speed internet

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 15:48:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:22:11PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Not really. I went the "self install" route. The technicians came, ran
> the wires, connected the modem to the cable, ran some tests with a
> laptop to make sure the modem was online and talking to the Rogers network.
>
> The one catch with a self install is the computer/modem cabling. The
> only cable I got with my modem was a USB cable. I used it at first to
> get connected. I eventually switched to using Ethernet when I added a
> router to my local network.

I got both usb and ethernet cables, and the technician did no testing
other than check the modem synced up and got online.  I thought that was
perfectly good enough for me.

> BTW, If you get a Terayon cable modem, watch out. They are known to be
> flaky. If you start experiencing random disconnects from the Internet
> from time to time and a power cycle of the modem gets it on line after
> you have been using the modem a couple of months, the modem may be going
> bad on you. Report the problem to Rogers and track your outages.

Well I am using one of the Motorola modems.  I have used the Terayon Pro
modem in the past which worked fine.  Not sure about the original
Terayon model.

--
Len Sorensen