IT360 Show April 30 - May 2, 2007

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 22 17:09:00 UTC 2007

I trust everyone here knows that the IT360 trade show
is coming up April 30 - May 2, 2007. This show will
include the old LinuxWorld Canada show. So, as with
past LinuxWorld shows, GTALug is hoping to have a
booth at the show (and yes I expect there will be
discount deals on show passes for GTALug members,
details to follow). Still, there are some questions to
be resolved, like:

- Volunteers to staff the booth?
  - I will be in touch with people who volunteered
    last year.
  - Anyone else interested please e-mail me.

- Swag to be offered at the booth?
  - Fliers promoting GTALug will in some form be
    repeated.
  - Last year the Ubuntu people offered us CD ROMs,
    I gather this will be an issue this year.
  - Other swag we had last year (and could repeat):
    - Small hard red/white candy.
    - Round pin back buttons with the GTALug logo.
    - Some small mint flavoured chocolates.

- Meeting at the show?
  - Last year we had a NewTLUG meeting at the show,
    do we want to do something similar this year? Say
    a MythTV/KnoppMyth/etc video demo.

On the question of swag I have already been hearing
suggestions for big/fancy/expensive swag items (like
custom T-shirts), which I am going to do my best to
veto. Bottom line on swag items is that the stuff has
to be cost effective, namely if we spend $500 to
attract say $200 worth of new members then the show is
not worth our time/effort. So, I see two or three
types of swag items, namely:

- Stuff we are happy to put in the hands of every
  person there (likely just photocopied sheets
  talking about GTALug/NewTLUG/WestTLUG).

- Stuff we supply as thanks to booth volunteers
  (something like the pinback buttons).

- Stuff that we MIGHT give as a thank you for
  getting a GTALub membership (something beyond
  just the membership card).

Well, just a few things to toss around the group...

Colin McGregor