Where's the LVM utils? ( Debian - Ubuntu )

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 21 19:17:19 UTC 2007

Lots of good advice came my way, but it wasn't enough.

Tim suggested I play with LVM so I took a hard drive and almost did a Debian
Network install  [command Line only]. During the partitioning before the
install   Debian created a primary partition for for /boot and the rest of
the disk for LVM.  The logical partition had / [root] and swap volumes
[terminology?], however I would have liked swap, a 5 gig, /,  and another [80
Gig] for /data however that didn't seem to be possible at that stage. After a
30 min session downloading files from York U.  the install died during the
install of the man package.  Thats my life.

Next I tried a Cmd line install of Ubuntu, at least I got a system but not
quite what I wanted.  It insisted that I couldn't create just a primary
for /boot and the rest for LVM. I had to also create a primary for / [root
partition] and then I could use the rest for LVM. In here it created a swap
partition.  The install proceded and I now have a bootable drive.

Except I don't have the utilities that I need to work with LVM.  No vgcreate,
vgdisplay and so on. I installed lvm-common and lvm2 from the Ubuntu
repositories but still none of the goodies. Unless I am missing something
else that is pretty basic.

Bottoms up....

--
Merv Curley