local network bandwidth killers

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 19 01:41:17 UTC 2007

(http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html).
>  :-)

The above approach, tossing everyone at the KittenWar
website, or playing games with all images is fine
(could even be fun) in a home setting where you want
to be nasty towards outright bandwidth thieves.

Another approach, one easier to justify in a business
setting is traffic shaping. In summary, everyone can
get full access to the net, but the bandwidth pigs get
stepped on.

A summary of traffic shaping can be seen here:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping

In other words you don't stop the Youtube people, you
just make sure that after a short while the quality of
service sucks so bad it isn't worth using... :-) .

Colin McGregor
VE3ZAA