local network bandwidth killers

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 18 18:08:27 UTC 2007

No, no, no. That's far too obvious -- a more amusing solution would be to
limit the bandwidth coming from these content-heavy sites. And the way to do
that would be to throttle bandwidth on everything except a list of
specifically work-related sites.

Of course, you need to do your homework first, and make sure that the
higher-ups are presented with the problem, the solution and the expected
benefits. And good luck with that. ;)

Alex

On 1/18/07, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Install a proxy server and block the sites.
>
> Stephen
>
> Teddy David Mills wrote:
> > We have people on a local network that waste huge bandwidth by going
> > to these sites like youtube and others and playing online mpegs and
> > videos.
> > What are some ways to prevent such frivilious waste of bandwidth ? (be
> > aware, these people do whatever they want)
> >

> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario