What beeps when mail arrives ?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 17 05:22:04 UTC 2007

Peter P. <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question: what beeps when new mail arrives ? I have biff etc turned
> off, but if there is any open shell, it beeps. This is annoying. 'env|grep MAIL'
> is empty, 'set|grep MAIL' yields MAILCHECK=60. Where is this bash behavior
> documented ?

MAILCHECK (not the beep) is documented in the bashref info
documentation. On Ubuntu/Debian, this belongs to the bash-doc package.

> I suppose that unsetting MAILCHECK disables the beep, but what I
> need is the place where the beep is configured. Something like MAILCMD or such.

Check the bash startup files:

    /etc/profile
    ~/.bash_profile
    ~/.bash_login
    ~/.profile
    ~/.bashrc

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada