Programming/Scripting Resource

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 16:50:19 UTC 2007

> - Ruby is still young (though growing fast). Python has the great
> advantage of over ten years of learning resources, tools, and library
> support

I might be nitpicking, or even veering off topic here, but Ruby is
about as old as Java.  The first publicly available interpreter was
released sometime around 1995.  Of course, everything was Japanese, so
it didn't get much attention in North America.  Once the Pragmatic
Programmers created some English documentation, it started to get some
exposure, and then David Heinemeier Hansson (also known as DHH)
released Ruby on Rails, which has only increased Ruby's visibility.

Ian

PS Random tidbit: another similarity between Python and Ruby is that
they both have interpreters based on the Java virtual machine: Jython
and JRuby.  I don't know anything about Jython.  JRuby, on the other
hand, looks promising because Sun recently hired the developers to
work full-time on JRuby.  I assume that a JVM-based interpreter gives
you access to Java's rather immense standard library.

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com