Semi-OT 220v power in the home

ron ronjscott-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 04:17:52 UTC 2007

Colin McGregor wrote:

>I am exchanging e-mails with a magazine regarding the
>loan of a Linux related product for review (product in
>question has not yet been released), which is all very
>neat and cool. Problem is power, I will need access to
>220 volts for the duration of writing the review. The
>little server room down at GTCC does not have 220volt
>power, I have not been in the "new" Toronto Free-Net
>server room, so I am not sure if that is an option.
>So, the question is what can I do at home, as both my
>stove and clothes dyers are on 220volts with the BIG
>hockey puck style outlets.
>
>So, question is how can I make the device work,
>safely, and reliably? I can arrange things in such
>that I can live without say the electic clothes dryer
>for the time required to do the review. Ideally I do
>not want to call in a profesional electrician (they
>don't pay me that well for these reviews :-( ). but it
>must be done in a safe way.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Colin McGregor

Stove and clothes dryer outlets provide more current than conventional
electrical outlets, which are limited to 15 Amp, for your protection. It
probably would be safer to use a step up transformer plugged into a
regular electrical outlet to go from 115 to 230 Volts. Often they come
with taps to adjust the output  voltage up or down a bit. We used this
method where I used to be employed when we had 220 Volt computer
equipment to work on. If this piece of equipment only needs a couple
Amps at 220 Volts I could probably loan you something, depending on the
time constraints.

If interested, contact me off - list with details.

Ron Scott ( the other white beard at NEWTlug meetings)