Semi-OT 220v power in the home

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 03:56:33 UTC 2007

Colin McGregor wrote:
> I am exchanging e-mails with a magazine regarding the
> loan of a Linux related product for review (product in
> question has not yet been released), which is all very
> neat and cool. Problem is power, I will need access to
> 220 volts for the duration of writing the review. The
> little server room down at GTCC does not have 220volt
> power, I have not been in the "new" Toronto Free-Net
> server room, so I am not sure if that is an option.
> So, the question is what can I do at home, as both my
> stove and clothes dyers are on 220volts with the BIG
> hockey puck style outlets.

220 - 240V is used in home, as you mentioned for the stove & dryer.
However, many outlets also have 240V available.  These are common in
kitchens, work shops etc.  While the outlets are rated at 120, there is
240V between the hot terminals of the top and bottom outlets in the
receptacle.  Perhaps the easiest way, is to make up your own power cord
that plugs into the dryer outlet.  You'll have to be careful of the
current rating of your power cord and the breakers or fuses supplying
the outlet.  However, if you're not comfortable working with the
electrical system, don't do this on your own.  Does the device actually
require 220?  Some equipment can run on either 120 or 240V.