Semi-OT 220v power in the home

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 03:05:36 UTC 2007

Colin McGregor wrote:
> I am exchanging e-mails with a magazine regarding the
> loan of a Linux related product for review (product in
> question has not yet been released), which is all very
> neat and cool. Problem is power, I will need access to
> 220 volts for the duration of writing the review. The
> little server room down at GTCC does not have 220volt
> power, I have not been in the "new" Toronto Free-Net
> server room, so I am not sure if that is an option.
> So, the question is what can I do at home, as both my
> stove and clothes dyers are on 220volts with the BIG
> hockey puck style outlets.

I'm really surprised that a company would even make stuff like that now.
That's downright low-tech.

These days, almost all power supplies for electronics -- including PCs
and the little bricks -- can handle from 100-240V. Most cellphone
chargers and laptop AC adaptors can be used anywhere, with only the
shape of the plug -- not the voltage -- being an obstacle.

Are you sure that the PS for your unit can only take 220? It's possible
that while the plug itself may be of European or other shape, the unit
will still work with 110. What do the markings on the PS say? Plug
adapters are pretty easy to find, especially around tourist areas.

If it's a "device" (as opposed to, say, a PC), it should be possible to
find a brick that will take 110 in and output whatever voltage is
needed. Radio Shack (not the Source) used to sell adjustable voltage
bricks -- Active and other electronic supply shops should have bricks
that can be used with the device so long as they know the voltage and
the plug style.

If it's not a brick and requires 220, a travel transformer will cost
less than $30 IIRC, so long as it's not too power thirsty.

- Evan