Semi-OT 220v power in the home

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 02:45:51 UTC 2007

I am exchanging e-mails with a magazine regarding the
loan of a Linux related product for review (product in
question has not yet been released), which is all very
neat and cool. Problem is power, I will need access to
220 volts for the duration of writing the review. The
little server room down at GTCC does not have 220volt
power, I have not been in the "new" Toronto Free-Net
server room, so I am not sure if that is an option.
So, the question is what can I do at home, as both my
stove and clothes dyers are on 220volts with the BIG
hockey puck style outlets.

So, question is how can I make the device work,
safely, and reliably? I can arrange things in such
that I can live without say the electic clothes dryer
for the time required to do the review. Ideally I do
not want to call in a profesional electrician (they
don't pay me that well for these reviews :-( ). but it
must be done in a safe way.

Thanks.

Colin McGregor