Zoom 5801 ATA config

Paul Nash paul-fQIO8zZcxYtFkWKT+BUv2w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 00:11:54 UTC 2007

I've been messing around with a Zoom 5801 ATA, talking to one of my Asterisk
boxen, and suspect that I have broken the configuration rather badly.

When I call the extension in question, I can see a SIP INVITE going to the
ATA, which responds with a SIP RINGING.  However, the handset does not ring,
and if I go off-hook, the ATA does not respond.

Similarly, when I go off-hook, I get a dialtone, but if I dial, there is no
SIP traffic.

It's a while since I played with this box, but I think that it did work once
:-).

Does anyone know how to reset it to a default factory config?  I've tried
their "hold the reset button for 5 seconds", which doesn't help, and I've
tried holding the reset button while applying power.

Alternatively, anyone have a simple config guide -- Zoom's docs would do
Micro$oft proud, listing every feature but giving little or no explanation
of what the options mean.  Sigh.

I *had* hoped to use it to bridge incoming PSTN calls into Asterisk, and
give me another outgoing path, but it looks like it will do FXO or FXS, but
not both at the same time.

    paul