Government spooks helped Microsoft build Vista

Rick Tomaschuk rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 13 00:31:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 16:23 -0600, Sy Ali wrote:
> On 1/12/07, Rick Tomaschuk <rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Does anyone have suggestions for long term IT strategies that won't land
> > me on a terrorist list? Is RedHat really the only large non-Microsoft
> > shop?
>
> You just used the big "t" word alongside your real name.  You're
> already flagged.  ;)
>
> But more seriously, I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you
> looking to start a non-Microsoft-OS discussion?

I don't want to start/join a non-Microsoft-OS discussion but it may be a
good idea. Now that Microsoft oddly enough gained market share illegally
will continue to be the OS of choice for government and will be
protected as a US munition. Who says crime doesn't pay? What are the
options to eliminate Microsoft products (possibly even Novell) from a
company IT repertoire? I know Debian, Xandros and Ubuntu are popular but
lack any long term impact on the market. Most distributions are not US
based. This has advantages and disadvantages. Non US based distributions
lack market capitalization resulting in more complex support
arrangements. Berkley OS (Unix) require significant programming skills
and are not commercially supported. So this leaves RedHat. IBM, HP and
other Unixes are a world unto themselves. If SCO wasn't so stupid they
would be a good choice.

--
"Friends don't let friends use windows. Show a suffering
windows user Linux today." http://www.TorontoNUI.ca