Why english is important

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 14 01:14:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Sy Ali wrote:

> On 1/9/07, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> If you are going to write phishing emails, it's *really* important to get
>> the english language correct. For example:
>
> I've seen some truly hilarious spam messages.. but what boggles the
> mind is that it appears that perfect English might not be as important
> as you and I would think.
>
> I'm in the midst of reading a book, and if I were a copyeditor of some
> sort, I'd have hung myself in protest.
>
> But it got published nontheless.. =/

I have a printed visa for Syria in my old passport.  It contains a number
of basic spelling and gramatical errors in the printed text of the visa.
Eg, "Numbar of Journeys?".  Next time I'm in Australia (where my old
passport is) I'll scan it for the amusement of all.

Every country on Earth has a large number of people fluent in English.  I
expect the University of Damascus has an English department so I am at a
loss to understand how a sovereign nation could make such basic mistakes
in an important official document.  Oh well, it was a good laugh :)

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073