OT: Copyright law changes could leave consumers vulnerable

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 15 20:02:25 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/11/copyright-canada.html
>
> Ever recorded a television show or a movie so you can watch it later? Or
> ripped a CD so you can listen to it on your MP3 player?
>
> With changes to Canada's copyright laws expected as early as next month,
> these mundane 21st century activities could theoretically be open to
> prosecution — unless the Conservative government steps in with expanded
> "fair use" or "fair dealing" protections for consumers.

I think this is a tempest in a teapot .. the doctrine of fair use is well
accepted, and this applies to moving works from one media to another -- if I
own a CD (we used to call them albums) it's perfectly fine to transfer them
to another medium like an MP3 player (we used to record to tape).

Making your own mix CD (we used to call them party tapes) from your own
library of recordings is probably still covered under fair use, while buying
a CD and making copies for all your friends (whether or not you get paid) is
*not* fair use.

Not much of a change, I think.

--
Alex Beamish