Unix file extensions (Was: make apache2 serve file as htmL...)

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 14 23:16:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:46:10 +0000
"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> If you examine filesystem code, you'll find that there Is No Such
> Thing As A File Extension.  They don't exist.  They aren't supported.
> (Well, they are in msdosfs and ISO9660, which, respectively, emulate
> FSes from Microsoft and DEC.  But not in the *usual* Unixy
> filesystems...)
>
> Unix programming tools don't use them, either.
>
> Unix programming tools often use file suffixes to infer information
> about file type, but a suffix is not the same thing as an "extension."

Christopher,

   It looks like I am going to have to transition from FVWM and the file mananger XFM to the Gnome distributed with Fedora Core_5.  It is too bad, since XFM can use magic files to identify stuff.  You do not need file extensions.

   Progress -- two steps forward, one step back.  I hope.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org