Programming/Scripting Resource

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 13 09:43:27 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Matt <matt-oC+CK0giAiYdmIl+iVs3AywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So, I have two questions:
> 1) What language should I look at learning/relearning?  I'm thinking
> Perl, since I've done some before, though it's been a while
> 2) Does anyone know a good resource for n00bs to teach themselves?

I also ask the same questions others have asked:  Why do you want to
learn?  For what specific purpose?

If you're learning just to get entry-level skills to eventually get
useful skills, then look at Ruby or Python.  I recommend Ruby because
it's easy on your brain.

Links: http://www.trug.ca/Ruby

And some good starting material:
http://poignantguide.net/ruby/
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
http://tryruby.hobix.com/

Once you can do some very basic stuff, then re-examine yourself and
choose a language suited to some field or problem.  Bash for
commandline, Ruby or the more popular PHP for web, Perl for all kinds
of stuff, C for kernel stuff, etc.

Or whatever language your favourite app is written in.