Government spooks helped Microsoft build Vista

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 12 22:23:27 UTC 2007

On 1/12/07, Rick Tomaschuk <rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for long term IT strategies that won't land
> me on a terrorist list? Is RedHat really the only large non-Microsoft
> shop?

You just used the big "t" word alongside your real name.  You're
already flagged.  ;)

But more seriously, I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you
looking to start a non-Microsoft-OS discussion?

On 1/12/07, John Macdonald <john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It is also their responsibility to ensure that the U.S. is
> capable of getting intelligence from foreign lands.  As Bruce
> Schneier points out in his blog (Jan 9 about 10 entries
> ago right now http://www.schneier.com/blog/), these two
> responsibilities are opposed when they are examining popular
> software.  Do they report problems so they can be fixed so
> that U.S. government use is safer, or do they leave them in
> so they can be used to spy on the rest of the world?

A while back, an international collaboration of crackers ended up
forcing the NSA etc to work together to provide significant security
hole-finding resources to a number of companies.  For free.

At this point, holes in Windows are best plugged than left open.
Home-soil is too vulnerable to bother taking advantage of the
international application of security holes.

There are other ways to open holes in installations, for
"informational" purposes.