Programming/Scripting Resource

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 11 15:46:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 10:34 -0500, John Van Ostrand wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 10:06 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > I like php.  Nice easy to use web programming language.  However
> > security really has been a disaster for it.  For example an article from
> > today:
>
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/11/php_apps_security/
> >
> > Rather scary.  Easy to use and not secure by design, means people who
> > don't understand security issues will still be able to make programs
> > that they believe are working just fine.  Bad idea.
>
> I don't think PHP is the problem. Its popularity combined with sloppy
> coding is the cause of the large number of exploits. The article even
> states this. Perhaps one can say that sloppy web coders choose PHP.
>
> It would be nice if a language made it easy to program more securely.
>
> Take one of the common exploits, SQL code injection. A programmer
> displays an HTML form, accepts data from it and uses that data in an SQL
> statement without checking.
>
> Aside from Perl (with non-default settings), what language helps to
> force the user to clean the data first?

I should have read more deeply into that article. PHP can do a lot more
to be secure and that is evident from the Suhosin project.  There are
far more exposed vulnerabilities than I realized. It looks like Suhosin
has experimental support for SQL code injection problems like what I
mentioned.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.