Programming/Scripting Resource

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 11 04:52:15 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I notice that not a single person has suggested PHP, even though (from
> my minimal work to date) it appears to be reasonably flexible and is the
> foundation of many open source CMSs and other LAMP-based web apps.
>
> Are there objective reasons for not considering PHP as a place to invest
> one's time in entry-level programming, as opposed to Perl, Python, Ruby
> or shell?
>
> - Evan

In the hands of a skilled coder, there's nothing preventing the
creation of a well written PHP app.  However, the argument I've heard
(I admit these are weasel words) is that it's not a good beginner
language because it's easily possible for a beginner to start using
PHP, write bad code, and develop bad habits.