what to use instead of skype?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 10 23:21:05 UTC 2007

"Evan Leibovitch" <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> > Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:
> >> one of these scripts.  Everything else is in the official multiverse
> >> repositories, except for Skype, which I don't think is needed.  Back
> >
> > It is needed if employers and clients insist on using it ;)
>
> True, but little of this technology is old enough to have established a
> huge amount of negative inertia. If there are better alternatives, the
> user base is not yet that entrenched to make moving impossible.
>
> (As the user base for these services is -- almost by definition --
> bleeding edge early adopters, they can be more easily turned to something
> better. Having said that, it's yet to be established that the alternatives
> are superior beyond being more free.

Given the potential of a Skype vulnerability (whether intentional or
unintentional) to inflict widespread damage, I think being "more free",
i.e. more open to scrutiny, is particularly important in this context.
A google search for:

    skype "security analysis"

shows that there's much to be concerned about.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada