what to use instead of skype?

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 10 21:11:38 UTC 2007

Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:
> one of these scripts.  Everything else is in the official multiverse
> repositories, except for Skype, which I don't think is needed.  Back

It is needed if employers and clients insist on using it ;)

<snipped and moved down>
> I frown on using scripts to automate installation of extra packages -
> one only has to look at the wiki to know what to install by hand.
> Basically, a couple of gstreamer metapackages, libxine-extracodecs,
> flashplugin-nonfree, and then download and install w32codecs, and run
> /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh.  Also useful is
> ffmpeg2theora for transcoding :)

> The only multimedia package that can't be distributed by Ubuntu is
> w32codecs, and you can find and download it in less time than using

Hmm:

apt-get install easyubuntu
easyubuntu

seems like less time than doing by hand all of what you described :-D

It'll also set up flash/java plugins, MIDI, more fonts (including the evil
empire's), Nvidia/ATI closed drivers, ...

Anywho, none of these are used for work so I'd probably never get around to
installing them by hand (did it once, wasn't so much fun that I felt the need
to do it again) if I hadn't found easyubuntu.

TTYL,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20