(k)ubuntu: howto prevent lp module from loading at boot?

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 10 21:00:02 UTC 2007

make sure you both remove it from /etc/modules and add a line like

blacklist lp

to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.  You probably already knew this.  If you
want to run a command at boot, the easiest way is to run

sudo crontab -e

and then add a line like

@reboot rmmod lp

I'm not sure when that gets run, in relation to when your lp module
gets loaded, but adding an rmmod at boot is definitely a hack anyway,
so if it doesn't work, you can surely find a better way.  I use cron
to cap my CPU's speed at boot time, cause otherwise it will overheat
and shut off, and I haven't tried blasting the insides with canned air
yet :( In fact, if your problem is cups or hplip, and you aren't
printing from that VM, just run

for each script in hplip cupsys; do
    update-rc.d -f $script remove;
done

This will stop those services from running, and hopefully that will
stop lp from loading.  Keep in mind that you will still need to
comment out lp in /etc/modules if you haven't.