partimage and Windows XP

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 8 22:44:47 UTC 2007

I recently purchased a 120Gb HD to replace the 40 Gb HD in my laptop.
I have a multi-boot system on the 40Gb including XP, and I'm somewhat
stumped as to how to clone a Windows partition from one drive to the
other.  Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to put both drives
into a computer together, but I can boot with Knoppix or the Ultimate
Boot CD and save partition images to an external USB HD.

I booted the 40Gb HD with Ubuntu and used "partimage" to create
gzipped partition images for both Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP on the
USB HD.  I put the 120Gb into the laptop, booted Knoppix, and used
partimage to unpack both images - Windows onto hda1, the first primary
partition (it's on hda2 on the old HD).  FC5 went onto a logical
partition.  Both partitions were slightly larger than the original
partitions.  With a GRUB install and a bit of tweaking, FC5 booted
fine.  But attempting to boot XP got me the GRUB parameters on screen
and a screeching halt.  The partition is mountable and appears to have
the expected files, but won't boot.

I haven't done anything like this before, and I don't have access to
any "professional" ghosting/imaging software (although there seem to
be many free choices).  partimage's NTFS support is considered
"experimental," so perhaps it's not the best choice?  Any
recommendations, success stories, or information on details I'm
missing?  Thanks.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/