Syncing PDA

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 7 02:54:55 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-01 at 17:04 -0500, Neil Watson wrote:
> After our last discussion I took the plunge and bought a Palm Z22.  I'm
> having a heck of a time trying to sync it.  I've loaded the visor and
> usbserial kernel modules.  When I attempt to have kpilot find the
> device, which appears as /dev/pilot => /dev/ttyUSBx the PDA briefly
> reports a sync but then goes quite.  Kpilot report that it cannot find
> the device.  I see some errors in the kernel log files:
>
> usb 1-3.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 39
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> usb 1-3.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 43
> usb 1-3.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
>
> After that the /dev/ttyUSBx files disappear and do not return even when
> I attempt another sync.  I've tried two different cables using both USB2
> and USB1 ports but the error persists.  I'm using kernel 2.6.19.1 and
> Debian Sarge.

I've never used that model but I know from my experience with the t|x
that some palms have buggy usb drivers and the devices appear at the
wrong time for the syncing software to figure it out.  A brand new
version of pilot-link has just appeared and may fix some of those
issues; in any case pilot-link is usually the best way to diagnose
syncing problems as it's more flexible.  The mailing list is also
helpful.

can't remember where to get the packages, though, and on my way out
right now, sorry,
matt

--
Matt Price