what to use instead of skype?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 5 23:59:50 UTC 2007

Alex Maynard wrote:
> I just bought a dell laptop running ubuntu and am having a bit of trouble getting skype working. I wasn't going to bother the list with questions,
> but if you can share any details of how you got it working that could really help a lot.

I've had Skype working on my Ubuntu (Edgy) equipped systems, and it's
worked well for me. Its call quality is far better than Vonage, which I
ditched a few months ago once I got Skype working.

The Linux and Mac versions of Skype are 1.3, while the Windows version
is at version 3 (which includes the webcam support). Apparently the
Linux version is going through a major rewrite, based on Qt4
(http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2006/11/skype_progress.html#comment-13468);
the message thread on that indicates that video and SMS capability is
coming Real Soon Now.

I had some sound problems with Ubuntu Dapper; for reasons unknown (to
me), Edgy seems to work OK.

If I can be of help to anyone trying to make Skype work, I'll do what I
can. My account name is 'evanleibovitch'.

Having said all that, I'll have a look at Wengo after Marcel's message.

- Evan